In order to compete in 2018, contestants must meet the following eligibility requirements.
• Be at least 17 years old, and at least a senior in high school, by the date of competition
• Be no older than 24 years old on Dec 31, 2017
• Live, work full-time, or go to school full-time in Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, Chester, or Philadelphia County for at least 6 months prior to the competition
• Be a United States citizen
• Never have been married or pregnant
• Meet moral and character criteria as set forth by the Miss America Organization
Be in reasonably good health to meet the job requirements
• Be able to meet the time commitment and job responsibilities, including attending the Miss PA pageant in Pittsburgh, PA from June 9-15
Phases of Competition
Contestants vying for the job of Miss Philadelphia compete in the following categories.
25% of Total Score
Individual 10-minute interview with our panel of judges. There are typically 5 to 7 judges on a panel. Contestants are questioned on their background, educational and career goals, opinions on current events, social issues and pop culture, and their interests, hobbies and extracurricular activities. Contestants are judged on communication skills, the ability to convey her opinion, personality and confidence.
35% of Total Score
A 90-second routine of your own choosing. From vocal performance to ventriloquism, any solo act that demonstrates your ability to captivate an audience. Judges will look for a combination of skill, excitement and entertainment value.
20% of Total Score
Briefly model a formal gown of your choosing. Contestants are judged on their sense of style, elegance, and the overall sense of joy they bring to their beauty.
5% of Total Score
Contestants will be asked to answer a brief question relating to current events, the organization, or herself. Communication skills and comfort under pressure are evaluated.
Lifestyle & Fitness in Swimwear
15% of Total Score
Miss America began as a swimsuit contest on the Atlantic City Board Walk. Today, we use this phase of competition to evaluate your physical health and confidence.